Eastwood Neighbors History

Welcome to Eastwood Neighbors! We are a friendly, dynamic and wonderfully diverse inner-city neighborhood. The neighborhood offers an eclectic mix of architectural styles and an equally interesting and fun mix of residents. We are close to parks, restaurants, bars, coffee shops, a bakery, and shops, not to mention downtown.

Present-day Eastwood is on land which was part of North Carolina’s western territory. These lands were granted in 640 acre tracts, to veterans of the Revolutionary War as payment for services and to encourage western settlement. Themy Pernell obtained the land on which present-day East End is located in June of 1784. The Eastwood and Lockland Springs areas were acquired two years later by Daniel Williams. These lands changed hands often early-on, but all owners used them mainly for agricultural purposes.Residential development in Eastwood occurred later than in Edgefield and Lockland Springs. Dr. Benjamin F. Weakely bought 100 acres from Daniel Williams in 1848, and built a house the following year. The home itself was located on what is now Sumner Avenue near Nth 14th Street. The surrounding acreage gradually gave way to building lots, an the house itself was sold after the death of the last owner, Miss Mary E. Weakley, and replaced with four houses in 1935.By 1890 electric streetcar lines linked East Nashville to the central business district across the river. This was coupled with the facilitated access through the construction of bridges across the Cumberland River on Woodland Street (1886) and Sparkman (Shelby) Street (1909). Prior to this time, only the wealthy could afford to live in the country and make the daily commute from their estates to downtown. Streetcars gave the large middle class the opportunity to buy their own house-in-the-country on a quarter acre lot, away from the smoke and congestion of the city.Eastwood is characterized by local variations on the architectural styles popular throughout the country between 1890 and 1940. The earliest illustrate Queen Anne characteristics and Classical Revival details. As development progressed north and northeast, Bungalow, Craftsman style cottages and romantic English Cottages completed the development of the neighborhood.

Founded in 1779, Nashville was originally called Fort Nashborough, in honor of acclaimed Revolutionary War hero General Francis Nash. In 1784, the community's name was changed from Nashborough to Nashville. The city became Tennessee's capital from 1812 to 1815 and was permanently established as the capital in 1843. Under its Metropolitan Charter, which became effective April 1, 1963, Nashville and Davidson County have a unique single government, with an authority reaching more than a half-million people and 533 square miles. This widespread area is governed by Mayor Bill Purcell, Vice Mayor Howard Gentry and the 40-member Metro Council. For more Nashville history, please visit the web site of the Metro Nashville Public Library.

Gallatin Ave from Eastland to Douglas on the wast. Eastland Ave from Gallitin Ave to Porter Rd on the south. The eastern boundary includes Porter Rd from Eastland north to Tillman, then east along Tillman to the CSX railroad tracks overlooking Riverside Drive. The northern boundary includes Douglas Ave from Gallatin Ave to its terminus at Scott Ave, then continues along the CSX railroad tracks across Porter Road at Porter Crossing until they reach Tillman Ave.