Sunday, December 4, 2016

December 2016 business meeting and 2017 board election

Our next business meeting will be Tuesday, December 13, at 6:30 PM in the sanctuary of Eastwood Christian Church. We will be holding our annual board elections in addition to receiving our normal police, development, and organizational updates. Hope to see you there.

Your Eastwood Neighbors Board Nominee Slate for 2017

President:
Bob Rehley
Eileen and I have lived at 216 Chapel Ave since June 2012.  We came to Nashville from Charlotte, NC so I could become the VP - Treasury and Shared Services with Gibson Guitar.  Although I decided that Gibson wasn't for me long term, we both knew that Nashville and our home in Eastwood Neighbors was exactly where we wanted to be for years to come.  We decided to acquire a print and marketing communications business within walking distance of our home - AlphaGraphics, 921 Main Street, 37206.  Now that we have been here a few years and learned from our neighbors and the members of the Eastwood Neighbors Association about opportunities and issues in our neighborhood, I have the desire to help in whatever way I can.

My background is in finance and I've been a corporate officer for several large companies.  The issues that most interest me in our neighborhood right now are crime control, zoning/development and helping to increase neighborhood involvement in the Eastwood Neighbors Association.  As a corporate officer and now as a local business owner, I've learned to work together with a team and take a leadership role when necessary.  I would utilize this experience to move neighborhood initiatives forward.

Vice President:
Wendy Windsor
I've lived in the Eastwood Neighborhood for 23 years, 20 of those at 1133 Sharpe Avenue on the corner of Sharpe and 14th. I came to Nashville in 1983 and graduated from Vanderbilt with a degree in Math. I'm currently studying for my actuarial exams and work for a reinsurance brokerage firm in Brentwood. I am also a certified Irish Step Dance Teacher and offer classes at Eastwood Church and in Franklin.

I volunteered to canvas during the recent local election cycle and was happy to get out and meet more East Nashville people. It made such an impact on me that I rearranged my teaching schedule so that I would have Tuesday evenings available for Eastwood meetings! We are at a pivotal time in the development of Eastwood and our fellow neighborhoods. I feel it is more important than ever that we encourage as much participation and communication within our neighborhood as our community grows and develops. I am excited and encouraged about the future of our neighborhood and would like to take a more active role. Thank you for your consideration.

Secretary:
Chris Weinman
My wife Mollie and I have lived on Greenwood Avenue for the past five years, and we are so happy to be raising our family in Eastwood Neighbors. My favorite things about our neighborhood are its accessibility (like being able to walk daughter Ellery to school at Montessori East and then catch the No. 4 bus to my job downtown) and its character (think giant trees and 80-year-old homes).

Treasurer:
Jerry Vandiver
I am a 30+ year resident of East Nashville and a Music Row songwriter.  Living at 1702 Sharpe Ave.  As a previous board member and treasurer of the Eastwood Neighbors, I look forward to working with the board and neighbors in being vigilant in maintaining the integrity and charm of our special neighborhood.

At Large:

Jackie Hansom
A native Tennessean, I work in education, volunteer management, and community outreach. I am currently creating the first Volunteer Management program in Teach For America's 25-year history. I also coordinate projects and outreach with Hands On Nashville, manage events with Evolution Event Solutions, and facilitate youth leadership trainings with STARS Nashville. I serve on the Board of Tennessee Alliance for Progress and enjoy spending time with my Big Brothers Big Sisters' Little Sister of over five years.

While I am most passionate about the intersection of youth, education, service, and justice, my other interests include quality food, quality people, and quality time with an outdoor-concert-loving rescue dog named Eula Mae. I have lived in Eastwood since 2011, right around the corner from my great aunt and great grandmother’s residence on Porter Road and my father’s childhood home on Groves Park Road.

Sunil Rebeiro
I currently live at 1135 Granada Ave. with my lovely fiancé, Sarah Ekstrom. I am a personal trainer and wellness consultant who has worked primarily at Gym 5 on Main St for the last 6 years; she is a 4th grade teacher at Napier elementary. I have lived in this neighborhood for 31 years (my childhood home was 1305 Eastland Ave.) and my parents, my brother and his husband, and my sister all own homes within a mile of mine, so you could say our family has been a neighborhood fixture for awhile. I formerly sold real estate here for several years and instructed group exercise classes as well as volunteered at the East Y. As such, I've been involved in various capacities in the community, but never in a neighborhood association or board of this kind. I would love the opportunity to serve my neighbors and community in a new way and respectfully ask for your consideration.

Sydney Stars
I have lived on Setliff for the last 10 years with my husband, Eric. We have been association members on and off over the years and attend meetings when we see topics that are of interest to us. We now have two children both of whom attend school and daycare in the neighborhood so I consider us pretty settled and committed to Eastwood/37206. I am a corporate tax accountant by trade but would like to utilize some of my other talents for the association. If brought onto the board, I would like the opportunity to help out with membership and participation.

Past President:
Cliff Lippard
I have lived at 1427 Greenwood with my wife Teresa and stepdaughter Simone (and dogs Lucy and Gray) since 2012. I served as board vice-president in 2014 and am the current president. Originally from Indiana, I have lived in Nashville since 1992 and am also the past-president of the Urban Residents Association, downtown Nashville’s neighborhood association. I am a public policy professional, serving as executive director of the Tennessee Advisory Commission on Intergovernmental Relations, a state policy think tank. I am also an adjunct assistant professor of education at Vanderbilt University’s Peabody College and a retired Army Reserve Officer.


My focus as the Eastwood Neighbors president has been on updating our bylaws, ensuring our corporate status is up to date, keeping residents informed on neighborhood development and zoning issues as well as other news, and building social connections among neighbors. I would consider it a privilege to continue to serve on the board as past president.